Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Guest Author, Rob Costelloe


Today's guest is Rob Costelloe, friend and fellow Polka Dot Banner author. Rob has written two romances, including Coinage of Commitment, which celebrates love at a higher plane, and was awarded finalist honors at the National Indie Excellence Book Awards. His current title is Pocket Piece Cameo--five cups from Coffee Time Romance--a coming of age love story of betrayal, suspense, and ultimate renewal. Rob also has a blog, where he explores love at a higher level. I find the concept fascinating, and look forward to seeing more from this highly talented author.

1. Who are you?

I was born in Philadelphia and wrote short stories as a child to please my parents, who were highly supportive. Like many boys, I wrote Science Fiction short stories as a high schooler. But my teachers were never impressed.

While in college, I composed a series of novellas, most of them love stories set against the backdrop of World War II. Then after college, came more stories, a teeth-cutting first novel, and a little poetry. My interest has long focused on what romantic love can achieve in people’s lives: the soaring possibilities. In 2005, I read a well crafted love story by a best selling author whose ending was a reversal so suddenly despairing that I felt outrage on behalf of the novel’s readers. Within twenty-four hours, I was writing Coinage of Commitment, a novel whose first draft was produced in a four month blaze of sleepless effort. It was published in June, 2007. My second title, Pocket Piece Cameo, a coming of age love story, was published November 10.

2. What type of stories do you like to write and why?

I write love stories, mainly to explore what love can achieve in people’s lives.

3. When do you write?

My best time for writing is when I first get up at 4:30 a.m. If I get a good start, I’ll go all day, sometimes into the night.

4. Where do you go to think?

I go to a commercial park area which is a group of four storey buildings and associated parking lots carved out of a wooded area. It’s especially good for watching the leaves fall in autumn.

5. How did you come up with your title and main characters’ names?

Coming up with main characters’ names is too mysterious to describe. For my titles, there is some logic. Both my books are love stories that feature a physical token of the couple’s commitment. I start with the token, a cameo or a coin, and I work from there.

6. How long did you write seriously before your first book was published?

I started writing Coinage in October, 2005, and the publishing contract was dated 4/7/07.

7. Why do you write?

For me it’s an artistic expression, born of gratitude, for giving back to others.

No comments: